I think for everything there is a season. I'm am currently in a season of restlessness. I can't seem to shake it not matter what I do. I have read a lot lately about "being content" in your life, whatever & wherever God has placed you that sometimes He simply asks that we be content our current circumstances. While I believe in that, I also believe that He can make you restless to invoke change. Change in location, in mindset, in friendships, in family, in work, in your calling, simply in life. My current situation revolves around my job. This time last year I left a job I loved because I was at my wits end, I disliked the director of our culinary program & what was worse was that I had no respect for him at all. I woke up every day not wanting to go to work because I didn't want to have to deal with his B.S. It was at that time I started saying a simple prayer - God, put me where you want me to be. Grab my hand and lead me or hold me steady. It was just a few days later that I put in for my current job & all the doors & windows seemed to simply open up seamlessly & so I walked through them.
While the hours are great (8-4 M-F) with christmas & summers off.. and the pay is.. decent (about $4,000 less than I was making) and the drive time is less (45 min vs 1.5 hours..) I am restless. I miss teaching DEARLY. I miss preparing for my upcoming class & learning more and more each year so that I can teach my students. I miss sharing my knowledge with others. I miss being a chef & being in the kitchen every day teaching something new & getting my hands dirty. I do NOT miss the 30+ lbs I gain each year because of tasting, but I can work around that!
I am also in a season of wanting to move. To get out of this place that I have called home for most of my life. There is simply not anything tying us here. Our extended family situation is.. complicated.. at best. I would still see my mom just as much if we moved as we do now living in the same town. I'm not even going to get started on Kelvin's family right now. I want to just pick up & start somewhere new, reinvent ourselves & our family to make it what WE want it to be.
On a whim last week, I put in several job applications.. just to see what would happen, would I get a bite or not? Well, I did! One from a start-up company in IL & one from Le Cordon Bleu in Dallas for a chef instructor position! I haven't been able to actually get the guy on the phone to have an actual interview for Dallas, but it was a definite ego boost to even get a call back. Sometimes I think maybe we just need a little "pick me up" to get us out of our funk.. and sometimes that pick me up may lead to the rest of your life.
I'm not sure yet which of those it is for me, but I will let you know as soon as I figure it out!!
Fingers crossed guys XX
-Sara
No comments:
Post a Comment