Sunday, September 13, 2015

A catch up of sorts

I start this post in the dark of a hotel room in Findlay, OH just as Fenway is starting to wake up and babble to herself.  We are up getting Kelvin settled in and visiting him in our "home away from home" since he will be staying here on the days that he works.  

I am now in week 5 of work and just did my first "parent call outs" to the parents of mine whose child has a D or an F in my class.  It was weird.  To be quite frank, it has all been a little weird.  I am SO very used to college aged/adults in class and teaching teenagers a whole new ball game.  One I am honestly not sure that I want to be a part of more than a season.  I am really hoping that as the year progress that I come more accustomed to the "style" of teaching I've had to develop and can learn to love it as much as I loved my college classes.  

For the first time I am really seeing what damage has been done to younger generations.  I remember being a teenager, believe it or not, but we weren't lazy.  We didn't feel entitled.  I'm sure there were some, as there is with every group, but just as a whole.. I am terrified of what the world will be like, what the culture will be like when Fenway is that age.  There is no respect, no want to learn, and this entitlement of you should just "give it to me" whether it be a grade or a "free day" or "your notes" its amazing.  It is definitely a major reality check and challenge. for me.  I am still adapting and finding my way & I've had several great days with both labs, but then others I am just trudging through to the end of the day & I have never had that feeling before when teaching.  

And the meetings.. OMG THE MEETINGS - I am already barely keeping my head above water with trying to keep up with my next day's lesson (which I am planning the afternoon before & has my OCD and control freak planning at an all time extreme..) and all the events and paperwork and grading etc.  and then they throw in at least 3 meetings a week.. I mean I get it.. actually I don't.  Send me an email and let me work through it myself when I actually some time to breathe.  Or just throw it on my pile. I don't eat lunch most days because I am trying to plan my class for my senior lab! At least I know i'm not in the boat by myself.. several of the teachers I have spoken with feel the same way and are overwhelmed right now, even a few veteran teachers, so that at least makes me feel like not such a nutcase! 

So, as you see - I haven't had much time for updating or writing in general and boy have I felt it! My stress level is at an all time high and my face is freaking out and breaking out, it sucks.  Fenway is officially awake and squawking at me, thus I must put on my Mommy cap & being the day.. More to come lovelies.. much more to come 

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment