Friday, October 17, 2014

awwww nuts!

We have two gigantic pecan trees in our back & side yard.  I've been waiting a few extra weeks to start gathering the pecans to give them time to mature and hopefully dry out some once they fall.  Well the storm a few days ago did us a great favor of shaking a bounty of them down onto the ground BEFORE I put my "easy peasy pickin nets" down - basically all this is is a medium mesh net that catches all the falling pecans so all you have to do is bundle it up and give it a good shake and you've got a few buckets full!  This also saves quite a bit of loss because once the pecans are on the ground they're pretty well camoflaudged so there are many that are missed when gathering by hand.  

Fenway and I went out yesterday to do some old fashioned pecan gathering.  It was fun (except for the mosquitos, bug spray next time!) and she seemed to enjoy it! 
This is the Tree in our side yard, it was a beautiful day for pecan pickin'!

We had quite a bit of "double dippin" I would put them in, and she would take them out! It was quite a fun game =)
Posing for a good mommy/daughter shot

Our 1/4 bucket picked for the day!  

Had the mosquitos not been so bad, we would have stayed out much longer.  This was picked in about 15-20 minutes, so this weekend once I'm armed with lots of bug spray we'll spend much more time out & hopefully get at least 2 buckets full.  

On a side note - I'm noticing that in all of Fenway's pictures, she looks like she doesn't have any teeth because of how she smiles!! She actually have a full mouth of teeth (that she is currently using to bite mommy's toes.. strange I know, but she's obsessed) 

It is supposed to be a beautiful weekend here in our neck of the woods so we'll get some much needed outdoor play time before the cold icky weather kicks in in a couple months.  

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend - 

-Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment