Thursday, October 30, 2014

Framily - Friend's that are family

the word FAMILY has a different meaning depending on who it is that you're talking to.  Family can simply mean two or more people living together and raising children, but to me, family means a person (or people) that love each other no matter the state of mind.  They know the good & the bad and love you in spite of or because of these things.  I believe you should be able to count on family no matter what, in good time & in bad.  Family doesn't have to be blood, and in many cases non-blood relations are much closer and tighter than actual blood relations!




In my world, I feel my family - my mom, brother, & I - have always been the "black sheep." When I was younger, my older cousins would come in & all stay with my "cool" Aunt & her daughters, but I was seldom invited.  My cousin and I didn't get along well when we were kids, and so I was left out of those weekends.  Things happened in my teenage years that drove us apart even further.  Even still, I love my family & now we have fun when we're together a few times a year, but I don't really feel connected or bonded to them.


Then there are those remarkable people that come into your life, usually by chance, that become the family you never had (or wish you had) - Every stage of life for me has had this person (or people) to varying degrees.  Some have come and gone but my best friend Lauren and her family have become my second family.


Lauren and I met 7ish years ago, through a chance encounter with a mutual friend.  We started dating guys that were room-mates and traveled most weekends to stay with them.  Though the guys are LONG gone (thank God) the friendship that blossomed out of those weekend stays has, in many ways, become my lifeline.


We are so incredibly different yet so incredibly similar in so many aspects of our lives and personalities.  We understand each other on a level that it seems no one else can.  We have been through the great/good/bad/and horrific and still love each other just as much.  We always tell each other the truth not matter what, but know specifically how to talk to each other so as not to hurt the other's feelings but still get the message across.  She can tell me when I'm being unreasonable & bitchy & I can tell her when she's being dramatic & overreacting!



We can have an entire conversation with looks alone & have the best stories! Her mom & dad love Fenway like she was their own & will be called mimi (or nena) and papa T whenever she starts talking!   We live 5ish hours away from each other & normally only see each other twice a year (once at christmas time & once during the summer) - however - this year has been WAY different!  We've seen each other 4 times so far & we're going up again the week of Thanksgiving! I'm so glad that it has worked out that way this year, sometimes you just need to see your sister =)  That is what she is to me, a sister - to quote: We're not sisters by birth, but we knew from the start, fate brought us together to be sisters by heart!!

Love you Lauren Paige - even if you didn't have a nose!

-Do you have a 'Framily' or someone that isn't blood relation that is your family?

-Sara

1 comment: