Monday, October 13, 2014

low carb way of life.. sort of..

Back in April, sometime around my 28th birthday (gulp) my mom had come by for one of her rare visits to see Fenway.  On her way out we hugged as always and she said, and I quote "Oh honey, I never thought we'd be the same size!" - DOUBLE GULP -

now my mom isn't what you'd call a large person.. but all that I have heard my entire life is how she was a size 4 in school & when her and my dad got married and she can't believe she let herself get to the size she is now so on and so forth.  I have never been 'thin', I have hips and an ass and boobs & thighs but I have always been very athletic & 'toned' UNTIL I had my little firecracker.  At my full pregnancy weight I was 210lbs (TRIPLE GULP) which was ok because I lost it all within the first few months of her birth because of breastfeeding.  Then I got mastitis & thrush AT THE SAME TIME and had to stop breastfeeding (i bawled for a week). Within a few short months I had ballooned back up to 210lbs & it was at this time that my mother said those words to me.  

Nope, nu huh, not happening!  I did my research & decided that low carb/sugar free was the way to go for me.  I could eat when I was hungry, lose weight, & keep it off - if I followed the plan.  Well, IT WORKED! From March 17 - May 17ish I lost 30lbs & 2 pant sizes.  I had energy, was sleeping through the night (i've battled insomnia since my teen years), my moods were stable .. it was wonderful!! Then summer came and I "fell off the wagon" with all my easy go to foods - pizza, loaded cheese fries, and so on.  I am happy to say that even while eating like crap I only gained back 3lbs - crazy I know!  But.. it is time to get back to being healthy (my version anyway) because I feel awful & gross.  My stomach is messed up most of the time, I'm bloated, moody, tired, and not sleeping well.  So my dears.. today is the day.. back on LCSF (low carb/sugar free) for me!  

The first week is the only awful part, because your body is actually detoxing from sugar.  I've never been into alcohol or drugs or even cigarettes, so the whole detox thing was very new for me the first time around & IT WAS AWFUL! but, I made it through.  kudos to those of you who have detoxed from drugs or alcohol or even cigarettes because it wasn't fun at all & it was only sugar/carbs for me.  It really is a mind over matter thing for me.  As I sit here typing this (after having a delicious breakfast of bacon & diet Dr. Pepper) my mind is craving a bowl (or 3) of fruity cheerios! So I will do my best to keep my mind busy, and have a slice or two of cheese or some peanuts just to keep my mouth busy too!! 

What's your healthy way of eating?  Have you found any particular way of eating that is easy for you to stick with? 

-Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment