Thursday, October 16, 2014

childhood media memories

first off - I didn't make "crack slaw" last night.. Kelvin forgot to take out the ground beef for me! So, I made some more Tuna Salad and had that with some homemade spicy dill pickles for a good crunch. 

onto topic for today: I'm sure your childhood, like mine, is filled with memories of great movies & tv shows that helped in your "coming of age" or that spark good memories for you.  My cousin posted a feed to our Facebook page last night that got me thinking of all those characters that I want my daughter to get to know as well & it made me wonder what her memories of these things will be.  I have "book friends" as well as "tv/movie friends" that I feel like are a part of my life.  Characters that we get so into and feel so apart of their life that they actually shape how we are in some small (or profound) way.  So today, I want to share some of my tv/movie families & characters with you and the memories that come with them just to curb that nostalgic bone!

In no particular order:

1. Star Trek; The Next Generation (TV): - this was the one show that my dad would let us stay up and watch on a school night! It came on at 8 (our usual bed time) and so we were allowed to stay up the extra hour to watch.  

2. TGIF lineup (TV): It changed every couple of years, but this was like a religion for us! Full House, Family Matters, Step By Step, Dinosaurs.. those are the ones that I remember the most.  I miss when shows were about families sticking together and overcoming daily obstacles & tackling the tough life issues together.  

3. Now & Then (movie): Samantha, Teeny, Chrissy, and Roberta had the kind of lasting friendship that I dreamed of. 

4. The Baby Sitters Club (movie): I'm pretty sure every girl that watched this tried to start a club of their own!!

5. Salute Your Shorts (TV): who could ever forget AWFUL WAFFLE AWFUL WAFFLE!

6. Hey Dude (TV): I never wanted to live on a dude ranch so bad in my life!

7. White Fang (movie): Love love loved this movie, we wore out the VHS at my grandparents house

8. Far & Away (movie): This is when I fell in love with Ireland & Tom Cruise

9. The Cutting Edge (movie): another "dadism" I remember he brought home the rented movie and said it was about ice skating, so of course we didn't' want to watch it.  He said we could stay up later to watch it, but we had to watch the whole thing if we did.  It's one of my favorite movies =)

10. ALL the Charlie Brown Specials: What was Halloween or thanksgiving or Christmas without a "charlie brown" special?! 

11. Little Women(book/movie): oh to have sisters like that and a mother who taught us everything!

12. Gilmore Girls/One Tree Hill/Gossip Girl (teenage years..): I have all the seasons on DVD (except GG, that on netflix!) and still fall asleep most night to Lorelai & Rory antics!  To have the life & friendship that Rory & Loaelai had, the love, devotion, & "come backs" of the characters in One Tree Hill (I'll NEVER forgive Dan from killing Keith.. it felt like a family member died), and the posh & lavish lifestyle of the Upper East Side in GG.. 

So, that's my list for now.. I'm sure there are 100's other's that I just can't think of right now.  Plus new ones that are present in my life today that I have fallen in love with.  My book family will be coming up soon I'm sure! 

What are your childhood media memories? Do they hold any special memories for you like those with my dad? 

Have a fabulous Thursday dear friends - 

No comments:

Post a Comment